Location: In the centre of Cheriton
Bishop, at the side of the road, just before the turning which leads to
O/S Grid Ref:
Longitude/Latitude (Degrees+/-): -3.73946/50.72367
to view map.
feet 9 inches (0.84 metres) high. 2 feet (0.61 metres) across the arms.
The shaft is 9 inches (0.23 metres) wide by 9 inches (0.23 metres) deep.
The whole cross, shaft,
head and arms, are octagonal in shape and has a weather-beaten appearance.
It has been quite badly treated in the past, with one arm being completely
destroyed and the other still visibly showing the signs of damage
suffered. Viewed from the road the left hand arm, which is the
replacement, has been cemented around its joint with the shaft. In
addition, there is a long strengthening bolt running through the length of
both arms and shaft, with a fixing plate at each end. The end of the bolt
and plate has been plugged with cement on the left hand arm. However, the
cement plug has fallen away on the right hand arm and the end of the bolt
and plate are clearly visible. The cross has quite a squat appearance,
which makes me wonder whether the shaft is now somewhat shorter than it
The cross is set into large square socket stone, which measures 18 inches
(0.46 metres) high and 2 feet 11 inches (0.89 metres) in both width and
depth. The shaft is cemented firmly into the centre of the socket stone.
Behind the cross
and fixed to the retaining wall is a vertical granite plaque. Generally
this has a rough surface, but the area containing the text is inlaid and
has a contrasting smooth surface. The inscription, which consists of
letters made of lead, reads as follows:
THIS ANCIENT CROSS
HAS BEEN RESTORED
TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF
THOSE MEN OF CHERITON BISHOP
WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES
IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918
ALFRED BEER, THOMAS DREW,
WILLIAM BOLT, FRED LAKE,
S. G. CARTHEW, GEORGE SAFFIN,
WILLIAM EDWARDS, DANIEL PITTS,
1939-1945. SAMUEL H. HUTCHINGS CPO. RN