the trees and beside the track that runs up from the Burrator
Reservoir road to the ruins of Narrator Farm.
O/S Grid Ref:
Longitude/Latitude (Degrees+/-): -4.02239/50.50147
to view map.
This is believed to be an incised memorial cross.
Size: The incised cross is just 2
inches (51mm) high and 1¼ inches (32mm) across the arms. The rock on
which the cross has been incised measures 4 feet 8 inches (1.42 metres)
wide by 16 inches (0.41 metres) deep and 3 feet 5 inches (1.04 metres) high.
stone has had a rectangle, measuring 9 inches (0.23 metres) by 6 inches
(0.15 metres), cut into its face low down
in the centre. The area within the rectangle has been smoothed off
and is slightly darker than the rest of the stone. Within the
rectangle the letters WIFF have been engraved, with the inscribed cross
appearing below these letters. It would appear as though this has
been done as a memorial, but it is not known to whom it might have
stone sits to the right of the lane that runs up from the unclassified
reservoir road to the foot of Sheeps Tor. Further up the lane the
moss-covered remains of Narrator Farm can still be seen. This would
originally have been a longhouse nestling beneath majestic beech and elm
trees, with a scenic view over the area that is now occupied
by the Burrator Reservoir, to the heights of Leather Tor and Sharpitor
beyond. Unfortunately, the deciduous trees are now long gone and
have been replaced by quicker growing conifers.
the occupants of the farm, records show that is was the home of John
Bayley, Lord of the Manor of Sheepstor, in 1850. Later, from 1914 to
1923, the tenants were Harold Watkins and his wife. Mrs Watkins
claimed the area was a favoured by the local snakes and that she once
killed 16, in the space of half an hour, that had entered the house
through her kitchen window. It has also been reported that a pine
marten had been seen on the kitchen window sill in the 1950's.
Our thanks to Robert Noakes for bringing this cross to our