Hennock Memorial Cross

Browse crosses

LocationIn an area surrounded by railings on the west side and above the level of Church Road, Hennock.

O/S Grid Ref:  SX/83235/80629        Longitude/Latitude (Degrees+/-):  -3.65173/50.61364 

Map location:  Click here to view map.

Purpose: War Memorial Cross

Size: The cross measures 6 feet 5 inches (1.96 metres) high, with the head being 1 foot 8 inches (0.51 metres) square.  The socket stone is 24 inches (0.61 metres) by 18 inches (0.46 metres) at the base, tapering up to 16 inches (0.41 metres) by 14 inches (0.36 metres) and is 26 inches (0.66 metres) high. The base, on which the socket stands, is 3 feet 3 inches (0.99 metres) wide, 2 feet 6 inches (0.76 metres) deep and 7 inches (0.18 metres) high.

Information: This tall slender celtic cross sits proudly in an area above Church Road, Hennock in memory of those local brave men, of both Hennock hennock_roll.jpg (147980 bytes) and the nearby Teign Village, who lost their lives in both the first and second World Wars.  The shaft sits on a tall socket stone, which has had a rectangular area of the front surface smoothed off to contain the names of the 11 men from World War I and 6 from World War II, from both Hennock and Teign Village, to have lost their lives in the service of their country.  The shaft, which is rectangular in section, measures 9 inches (0.23 metres) by 7 inches (0.18 metres) at the base and tapers up towards the head, with both having a rough finish to the stone.  

The cross, which was consecrated by the Bishop of Exeter in November 1924, was originally erected as a memorial for the First World War, with the second World War being added after that conflict had ended. The site for the cross was donated by Mr F. G. G. Hazelwood and was particularly chosen for the cross to be visible by the inhabitants of Teign Village, in addition to those living locally in Hennock. 

hennock_plaque.jpg (137805 bytes)Although open at the front, the area around the cross is surrounded by a grey painted metal fence, with a plaque being fixed to the northern railings.  The plaque informs that the railings were replaced in October 2005 to commemorate the sixtieth anniversary of the ending of the Second World War in Europe in 1945.  The roadside bank is faced off with a granite stone wall, with seven granite steps leading up to the foot of the cross.  Although the area around the cross is covered in grass, the surface is uneven with a few rocks scattered around, providing the whole monument with the feeling of it being a genuine moorland site.

(This cross marks a new milestone for our website, as it is the 200th cross that has had its own page posted to the site). 

Our thanks to Jim Apps for bringing the cross to our attention.