Leather Tor Cross

Browse crosses

Location: Cemented into the top of a large boulder in the Leather Tor area.

Grid Ref:  Due to the fact that other similar crosses on the moor have been either stolen or damaged, we have decided not to publish the exact location of this cross. 

Map location:  See above.

Purpose:  Unknown.

Size: The cross measures 3 inches (75 millimetres) high, 2 inches (48 millimetres) across the arms, with the depth of the arms being inch (13 millimetres).

Information:  This little metal cross has been cemented into position at the top of a large boulder in the Leather Tor area.  The cross is of Celtic design, with the metal circle joining the head and arms with the shaft.  The name 'BUNTY' has been engraved across the arms of the cross, but the significance of this name is not known to us.  We've not been able to find out who put this cross out on the moor or their reason for doing so.  If anyone can help with this information we'd be more than pleased to hear from you.  Please contact either: maurice.daniel.007@gmail.com or Glenn.bearne@btinternet.com.

pcww_boundstone.jpg (113716 bytes)Leather Tor sits well above the north-eastern end of Burrator Reservoir with the imposing Sheeps Tor rising above the opposite bank of the reservoir.  The original reservoir was completed in 1898 under the supervision of Edward Sandeman, who was the Water Engineer for the City of Plymouth.  The reservoir has two dams at its southern end with one over the River Meavy and the second one built along the ridge between the Meavy and the Sheepstor Brook.  This gave the reservoir a capacity of 668 million gallons of water.  Early in the 20th century it was realised that the reservoir was too small to keep pace with the demands placed upon it by burrator_reservoir.jpg (99977 bytes) the population of Plymouth and the height of both dams was raised by 10 feet.  This work was completed in 1928 with the result that the capacity was raised, by 358 million, to 1026 million gallons of water.  Many of the local farms in the valley were compulsorily purchased during the building process, either because they would be flooded under the water level or were sited in the watershed and had to be abandoned to prevent the risk of pollution.  The greater area of the watershed is marked by a number of large boundary stones, each inscribed with 'PCWW' (Plymouth City Water Works) and the year that the stone was placed out onto the moor.  The reservoir is now one of several managed by the South West Lakes Trust.

Our thanks to Bob Noakes for bringing this cross to our attention and for providing the main photo (above right).